We are on a mission to foster impact innovation and leverage start-ups’ disruptive power to nurture an environmentally conscious and profitable economy that would effectively mitigate the oceans’ overexploitation, pollution as well as the effects of global warming on the oceans. In order to promote the vibrant and innovative activities happening in the African Blue Economy space, inspire more entrepreneurs, entice more private investments and catalyze more partnerships, Ocean Innovation Africa, with the support of its partners, are organising a pitch competition putting the spotlight on the bright and bold ocean-minded changemakers that our continent needs!
2021 edition supported by:
Up for grabs
- Access to grant funding for the businesses shortlisted for pitching – supported by the French Embassy in South Africa
First Prize R15,000.00
Second Prize R11,250.00
Third Prize R7,500.00
- Free virtual booth to exhibit your ocean-impact business during Africa’s Blue Economy Summit 2021, for all eligible applicants (within available spaces – first come, first served)
- Entering the competition to enter OceanHub Africa’s 2022 acceleration program with access to networks, coachings, 3DExperience Lab engineering platform and AWS Activate cloud services
Criteria for entry
- Your start-up is ocean-minded: it has a direct or indirect positive impact on the oceans (addressing climate change, pollution or over-exploitation of the ocean)
- You have a revenue generating business model and operate in Africa
- You have a scalable service or product available on the market or soon to be available on the market
- Your product or service is clearly innovative and/or your business model is disruptive
- Impact & Vision: social, environmental and economic impacts
- Business Model: Market and traction, commercial value, strategy for growth and scalability
- Team: Expertise and background, ambition and passion
- Technology: Innovation, reliability, adaptability, scalability
Apply before October 25th
We will review applications and ask for pitch decks the week commencing on Oct 25th, so have them ready before you submit your application!
Confirmation of the shortlisted businesses to pitch the week commencing on Nov 1st, as well as all eligible applicants for free online exhibitor booths
Live pitch on Tues 9th Nov, 12.30pm SAST (pencil it down in your agendas before applying – from 12.15pm to 2pm) – announcing winner live!